December 22, 2012

Host Families


It has been over three months since I’ve been abroad, living in a foreign country away from not only America but also my family and friends. Having been raised in Maryland and then choosing to go to school 3000 miles away was a tough decision. I grew up in a really tight-knit family. People used to ask me if I went so far away to college to get away from my family; that couldn’t be further from the truth. I would call my parents nearly every day in college and we all take great efforts to see each other. That being said, I was still a bit nervous to be away for so long. I would have no phone for calls and texts, my parents hadn’t learned to master Skype before I left and I knew I couldn’t come home for Thanksgiving. I was in tears the night before I left and cried the whole plane ride to Germany. Now as I have a few weeks remaining, I’m feeling nervous again. Documentary aside, I am nervous about leaving the people I have come to refer to as my family.
One of the things I love most about Bonn is my amazing host family, the Kölbs. I am a part of a family of four: Hilde (Mom), Helm (Dad), Daria (18 year old sister) and Kolja (12 year old brother). I cannot say enough nice things about them. Hilde helped me find the subject for my documentary, makes some of the best dinners I’ve ever had, and goes on runs with me. We even ran a 5km race together! Helm has some of the best taste in music and has shown me examples of it. I grew up as the youngest in my family of my siblings so it is nice to have a younger sister and brother. Daria and I go out to clubs together, go shopping in Köln and watch the show Vampire Diaries together. Last but not least is Kolja. He is the spunkiest and funniest kid. I went to his basketball game one Sunday and he totally impressed me. I think he was glad I came too. We have also played Xbox and he taught me to play Rummy. In all, I don’t think my study abroad experience would have been the same without them. They make me feel like a member of the family and not just a guest.
The experience of living with a host family can seem daunting; it’s a awkward moment when you first meet the people you will be living, eating, sharing stories with. My advice to any one traveling abroad is to get to know your family. Spend time listening to their stories and learn from them. Just because we come from different countries and speak different languages, families are important no matter where you go.
Written by Hannah Finlayson