October 6, 2013

Eifel


I spent the last 3 days in the Eifel, which might possibly have felt like a huge time warp for me. It was BEAUTIFUL but time definitely slows down over there. The town of Monreal is such a neat place to visit and the castle overlooking the little village made us feel like being in a fairy tale.
I don't know whether hiking is a big thing in fairy tales but this is what we did: we went on 3 hikes in a day and a half which was awesome! I’ve never climbed to the very top of a castle before - we felt so accomplished at the top. That was definitely a highlight of the weekend! At the very top we took some of the best pictures of the whole trip!

Another highlight was definitely making friends with the little sheep around town- I loved them even though they smelled a little.
Our headquarter was the Weingalerie Artarus with our hosts Dirk and Andrea. It was so quaint and the beds were the most comfortable things EVER. I wanted to lay there and snuggle with my roommates forever. It was basically the willy wonka scene with the old people when it got really cold..we’re cool like that! Andrea and Dirk made wonderful dinner and we enjoyed every single meal after finishing class in the afternoon.


After all I have to say that our Eifel bonding weekend was successful: We also motivated each other to get up at 6 am for a 2 hour hike. That’s friendship right there! Not to mention there was the program’s version of our second hike: give us TORCHES for a torchlit night hike. Bravo with the creativity and clear logic on that one. I am forever grateful for it. Playing mafia with the whole group was also awesome and I couldn’t help but channel my inner mob wife and make it as the last two mobsters left. I think we have a really awesome group and I’m excited to see what the next week brings!
Written by Meredith Yinger